Sample Exam Questions
Curious about what types of questions are in the HACP - Hospital exam? Interested in how well you might do? Answer the sample questions below then click on the question to reveal the correct answer.
1. Which of the following statements is true?
- Accreditation by a CMS deemed-status provider is mandatory for all hospitals in the United States
- Accreditation by a CMS deemed-status provider is only permitted once CMS has certified a hospital with a full validation survey
- Accreditation by a CMS deemed-status provider is not permitted by CMS under any circumstance
- Accreditation by a CMS deemed-status provider is voluntary and not required by CMS
- None of the Above
2. Which of the following is the most serious level of deficiency cited by CMS?
- Consultative recommendation
- Observation level deficiency
- Standard level deficiency
- Condition level deficiency
- None of the above
3. A patient's right to make informed decisions includes all of the following except:
- Right to participate in the development of his/her plan of care
- Right to consent to treatment
- Right to refuse to consent to treatment
- Right to receive care that is not medically necessary
- Right to participate in planning for post-hospitalization care
4. Documentation of the use of restraint or seclusion must include all of the following except:
- A description of the patient's behavior and the intervention used
- Notification of the patient's surrogate decision
- Alternatives or less restrictive measures attempted
- The patient's symptoms that warranted the intervention
- The patient's response to the intervention used
5. Which of the following statements regarding autopsies is false?
- The medical staff should attempt to secure autopsies in all cases of unusual death
- The medical staff should attempt to secure autopsies in all cases of medical / legal interest
- The medical staff is not required to attempt to secure an autopsy on cases that that been refused by the county coroner
- The mechanism for documenting permission to perform an autopsy must be defined
- There must be a system for notifying the attending physician when an autopsy is being performed
6. A history and physical examination must be entered into the medical record within how many hours after a patient's admission?
7. Except in an emergency, who is permitted to enter the Pharmacy when it is closed?
- A. The pharmacist on-call
- The administrative house supervisor
- Security officers
- Both A & B
- Both A & C
8. When a medication is prepared but not immediately administered, the medication must be labeled with which of the following?
- Date the medication was prepared
- Time the medication was prepared
- Identity of the person who prepared the medication
- The name of the medication
- All of the above
9. A physician is not permitted to conduct the utilization review of a patient's care if he/she…
- Practices at the same hospital that the patient is in
- Has a direct financial interest in the hospital that patient is in
- Is professionally involved in the care of the patient that is being reviewed
- Both B & C
- Both A & C
10. The hospital must address which of the following measures to protect staff from infection?
- Evaluate hospital staff immunization status
- Circumstances under which the hospital screens staff for significant infections
- Identifying staff exposed to patients with a communicable disease
- Appropriate use of personal protective equipment
- All of the above